Date:      Mon, 7 Oct 2002 15:19:52 -0300 (ART)
From:      Fernando Gleiser <fgleiser@cactus.fi.uba.ar>
To:        Kevin Oberman <oberman@es.net>
Cc:        parv <parv_fm@emailgroups.net>, FreeBSD Questions LIST <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.Org>
Subject:   Re: dilution of /dev/urandom

On Mon, 7 Oct 2002, Kevin Oberman wrote:

> Obviously I would suggest the man pages (man 4 random). /dev/urandom
> will never be exhausted. The numbers returned will simply become
> progressively less random. (Random enough for most things, but I always
> use /dev/random to make keys.)

Yes, it is true that urandom reverts back to a pnrg when the entropy
pool gets low. *But* IIRC there is only one entrophy pool in the
kernel, so /dev/random will stall until the entropy pool get replenished
even if you read from urandom only. I need to read the source to be sure,
but better safe than sorry :)

This means you can DoS some app which *needs* the randomness and reads
from  /dev/random just by messing around with /dev/urandom.

If both devices have separate entrpy pools, this is not an issue
(just remember: dont play with /dev/random unless you know what you're
doing)

> Both use truly random, external events to generate the entropy
> pool. By default, these are generated fairly slowly and the pool is
> easily exhausted. This is because the default is VERY paranoid about
> your system.

Agreed.

			Fer