Date:      Tue, 27 Feb 1996 13:54:18 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb>
To:        sburch@comput.cs.mci.com
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: I have a 3com Etherlink III card 3C509B-COMBO that didn't configure

sburch@comput.cs.mci.com wrote:

> I have a 3com Etherlink III card 3C509B-COMBO that didn't configure when I
> booted my system.  I am just learning UNIX and am not sure how to get it to
> configure.  What should I do?  looking at the documentation I see that the
> 3com network adaptors are supported with drivers for FreeBSD but I wonder
> what my problem might be.  Could it be IRQ? What?

	make sure that teh card is NOT configured for plug-n-pray.

	use the configuration utility from 3com to find out the i/o address
	and the irq.  make sure that no other device in the computer is using
	those settings.  reboot the comuter.  at the boot> prompt type "-c".
	the computer will start to boot then stop. at the config> prompt
	type "visual".   examine the settings for the ep0 device (under
	network controller (sp?)).  if the settings are different from
	the settings that the configuration utility from 3com reported,
	change them to match the settings as reported by 3com.

	exit the "visual" program.  the computer will boot and should find your
	3c509.  if you are using the UTP connector and FreeBSD 2.1.0R,
	you will need to edit /etc/sysconfig, adding "-link2"
	here is what i use:

	network_interfaces="ep0 lo0"
	ifconfig_ep0="inet 198.35.166.171 link2 netmask 255.255.255.192"
	ifconfig_lo0="inet localhost"