Date:      Sat, 7 Nov 2020 11:05:07 +0100
From:      Clayton Milos <clay@milos.co.za>
To:        Lee Nelson <lnelson@nelnet.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HAST different disk sizes

It works no problem on partitions. I=E2=80=99ve been running it for some =
time without any issues on partitions between 2 sites on different L3 =
networks, sometimes under heavy load.

root@OSL1EXPORT1:/store# uptime
10:59AM  up 1298 days, 27 mins, 21 users, load averages: 0.02, 0.02, =
0.00
root@OSL1EXPORT1:/archive/unzipped # cat /etc/hast.conf
resource store {
        on OSL1EXPORT1 {
                local /dev/da0p3
                remote 10.x.x.85
        }
        on OSL2EXPORT1 {
                local /dev/da0p3
                remote 10.x.y.30
        }
}
root@OSL1EXPORT1:/store# df -h | egrep "File|hast"
Filesystem               Size    Used   Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/hast/store          715G    511G    204G    71%    /store

> On 7 Nov 2020, at 04:44, Lee Nelson <lnelson@nelnet.org> wrote:
>=20
>=20
> Can HAST be run on partitions?  The documentation assumes that the =
drives being used are the same size and the examples only show the whole =
disk device (/dev/da0, for example).  In my case, the drives on each =
host are very different in size: 500GB and 1TB.  If HAST can be run on =
partitions, how are drives of different sizes handled?  It seems =
unlikely, in the real world, that drives are going to be the same size =
unless they are the same model from the same vendor.