Date:      Fri, 23 Sep 2022 11:40:20 -0400
From:      Paul Mather <paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu>
To:        Ed Maste <emaste@freebsd.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: objcopy: open objcopy failed: Text file busy

On Sep 23, 2022, at 11:02 AM, Ed Maste <emaste@freebsd.org> wrote:

> On Fri, 23 Sept 2022 at 10:44, Paul Mather <paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu> =
wrote:
>>=20
>> For a while now, when I do a "make buildworld" on -STABLE, if the =
/usr/obj directory is not empty I will have the build error out with =
"objcopy: open objcopy failed: Text file busy" part way through.  It =
isn't ultimately fatal, because I can just run the buildworld again and =
it will pick up where it left off.  As I say, it doesn't do this if =
/usr/obj is empty before running buildworld.  It would be nice to have =
the incremental build complete all in one go.
>=20
> It looks like this is the same issue as PR 261215. I haven't had a
> chance to look at it yet, and am not sure why it would have appeared
> recently.

That PR does look like what I am experiencing, except I am not =
explicitly doing a NO_CLEAN build but using META_MODE instead.  Plus, =
this only happens if there is a build in /usr/obj---it doesn't happen =
when I "rm -rf /usr/obj/*" before "make buildworld".

It hasn't appeared for me recently.  It's been happening for quite a =
while (at least back to that PR date).  It's just that I bothered to =
capture the error today and ask about it on the freebsd-stable list. :-)

Finally, I don't believe this happens any more on my -CURRENT system, so =
maybe there's something in -CURRENT that has changed to fix it that =
isn't present in -STABLE.  However, my /etc/src.conf is much shorter on =
the -CURRENT system:

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D /etc/src.conf =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
WITH_SYSTEM_COMPILER=3Dyes
WITHOUT_TESTS=3Dyes
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Cheers,