Date:      Tue, 2 Jun 2015 09:49:49 -0700
From:      John-Mark Gurney <jmg@funkthat.com>
To:        Andriy Gapon <avg@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: bhyve: bhyveload, bhyve, bhyvectl --destroy

Andriy Gapon wrote this message on Tue, Jun 02, 2015 at 14:20 +0300:
> I am very new to bhyve, so sorry if I am asking something silly or obvious.
> I am using bhyve to speed up my testing and it seems that each time I need to
> restart a VM I need to go through the cycle of destroying it with bhyvectl
> --destroy, then re-loading a kernel with bhyveload and then actually booting the
> VM with bhyve.  It seems that I have to do this even if I don't change th kernel
> between reboots.  My first naive impression was that the point of bhyveload was
> to load the kernel once.  Seems it ain't so?

Hmm...  I'm not seeing that here...  I just scp a new kernel into the
vm, install it, and run shutdown -r now which drops bhyve back to
loader, and loads the new kernel... I've been doing this quite
successfully over the last few months...

I am running a month old HEAD though...

--
  John-Mark Gurney				Voice: +1 415 225 5579