Date:      Thu, 16 Oct 1997 13:18:48 +0200
From:      Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.RWTH-Aachen.DE>
To:        marc@bowtie.nl
Cc:        Arne Henrik Juul <arnej@stud.math.ntnu.no>, kuku@gilberto.physik.RWTH-Aachen.DE, freebsd-emulation@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: some observations with xmaple (Maple V4 R5, Linux version)

On Thu, Oct 16, 1997 at 12:33:30PM +0200, Marc van Kempen wrote:
> Just came across this in comp.os.linux.development.apps:
>
> It seems to be related to the Xaccel server.

> Hello!
>
> Recently I got MapleVR4 for Linux.  The ascii Version of maple runs
> fine (start command "maple"). But I can not start the X11 Version via
> "xmaple". After some seconds I get an segmentation violation.
>
> Do I need a Motif Runtime Licence? I am running X11R6 without Motif.
> Could it be that there is a wrong library version of libc ( I am
> using Version 5.4.33, must be the newest, I think)
>
> My Konfiguration is :    200 MHz Pentium,
>                          64 MB Ram,
>                          Linuxkernel 2.0.30
>                          !!!!!! NO Motif Runtime !!!!!!!
>                          fvwm2 Window Manager
>                          SVGA Driver (3.3.1) for Matrox Mystique
>                                  -- or sometimes --
>                          Accelerated-X Driver 2.1  (xmaple shows a segm. violation, too)
>
> Please respond via eMail if possible, because I don't read this newsgroup
> on a regularly basis.

> >> Do I need a Motif Runtime Licence? I am running X11R6 without Motif.
> >> Could it be that there is a wrong library version of libc ( I am
> >> using Version 5.4.33, must be the newest, I think)
> >
> >I have MapleVR3.  It runs fine on both linux-2.0.30-pre10 and 2.1.57 in both
> >command-line and X interfaces.  I'm using libc-5.4.38 and have Motif, but my
> >version is statically linked, so that shouldn't be causing you the
> >problem....  Either it's specific to you or specific to MapleVR4, I guess.
>
> I'm running XFree 3.3, libc5.4.33 and MapleVR4 and all is well.  Can you
> give some more details.  If it's a legit copy of Maple their support people
> are pretty good with linux.
>
> Albert

> Marc van Kempen                 BowTie Technology
> Email: marc@bowtie.nl            WWW & Databases
> tel. +31 40 2 43 20 65
> fax. +31 40 2 44 21 86         http://www.bowtie.nl

Thanks Marc,

the problem here seems to be different:

It occurs only when running xmaple with DISPLAY set to
<hostname_to_resolve>:0

Setting it to

xxx.www.yyy.zzz:0

explicitly works.

Using libc.so.5.3.12 instead of libc.so.5.4.23 seems to
cure the problem as well. The question remains why
libc.so.5.4.23 (linux) doesn't work with the FreeBSD
emulation.