Date:      Mon, 25 Nov 2019 09:13:43 +1100
From:      Andrew Reilly <areilly@bigpond.net.au>
To:        Pete French <petefrench@ingresso.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Long-shot: repeatable macOS samba share unmounting during Lightroom import

Hi Pete,

Thanks for the suggestions.

FWIW I've been running the fruit extensions and a few other tweaks for =
quite a while.  My current global configuration contains:

   vfs objects =3D catia fruit streams_xattr zfsacl
   fruit:resource =3D xattr
   fruit:locking =3D netatalk
   fruit:time machine =3D yes
#dflt: fruit:resource =3D file
#dflt: fruit:locking =3D none

   fruit:advertise_fullsync =3D yes

   nfs4:mode =3D special
   nfs4:acedup =3D merge
   nfs4:chown =3D yes
# could be derived from this article:
# https://blogs.oracle.com/marks/entry/zfs_acls
 =20
   mangled names =3D no
   hide dot files =3D no
# prevent created files having execute bit set?
   map archive =3D no
# prevent SMB1, which seems to be bad:
# =
https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/how-to-configure-samba-to-use-smbv2-and-disa=
ble-smbv1-on-linux-or-unix/
   min protocol =3D SMB2

# Seems to be required for Spotlight (tracker) support (see spotlight =3D =
yes on shares, below)
# see: https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Spotlight
   rpc_server:mdssd =3D fork
   rpc_server:mdssvc =3D external

   socket options =3D IPTOS_LOWDELAY TCP_NODELAY

   browseable =3D yes

No, I haven't actually got Spotlight to work on the samba shares.  Any =
hints on that front would be appreciated.  The documentation on some of =
those Gnome-desktop background things is possibly worse than the Apple =
documentation...

I find that quite a lot about modern computing resembles magical =
thinking, or occult practices: there is almost no way to actually =
understand what is going on, you just try things and stick to what seems =
to work.  Superstition over science.  Sigh.

I can't remember why I'm not using fruit:encoding =3D private, but I =
think that it was because I wanted file names to be representable and =
compatible on both sides of the share, at the expense of occasionally =
having to "fix" names that turn out to be unrepresentable.

I've bumped log level up to 2 and increased the size of the log files by =
a factor of ten (to 5000 (k)).  I suspect that one reason why I wasn't =
seeing errors being reported could be that the logs were being turned =
over too quickly.  We'll see.

Cheers,

Andrew Reilly
E: areilly@bigpond.net.au
M: +61-409-824-272

> On 24 Nov 2019, at 22:15, Pete French <petefrench@ingresso.co.uk> =
wrote:
>=20
> I have a very similar setup to you for serving files to my Mac from a =
FreeBSD server. I haven't seen the unmount problem, but I di have a few =
oddities until I added the 'fruit' module on the Samba side, which helps =
with compatbiloty with the Mac. The appropriate bit of my config looks =
like this:
>=20
>   vfs objects =3D fruit streams_xattr zfsacl
>   fruit:resource =3D xattr
>   fruit:encoding =3D private
>=20
> Don't ask me what they do anymore, I added them ages ago, but it does =
work very nicely for me. You may already have this of course, but worth =
pointing out just in case as it took me a few years to discover it!
>=20
> As someone else has said though, this may well be a Catalina bug. I am =
not running that (MacBook too old, and not buying another until the new =
keyboards are avilable n the replacement I want).