Date:      Fri, 22 Aug 1997 20:00:54 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        terry@lambert.org (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        rama@ramahefason.qmail.easynet.fr, terry@lambert.org, smp@csn.net, rama@easynet.fr, smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Need Help on installing SMP on SNAP 3.0

> > > The first thing I thought of on seeing this is that one of your CPU's
> > > is not SMP capable, or they are otherwise mismatched.  You should
> > > probably check their steppings, etc.
> >
> > How could I know if a CPU is SMp capable ??
> > I'm trying to use 2 P200 Intel.... any clue ?
>
> They are; Steve's followup listed the CPUID's.  It's not the
> problem.

CPUID's will _NOT_ tell you if they are SMP capable chips,
you need to look on the top or bottom of the chip itself
for a 3 letter code, which has typical values as follows:

	SSS	Standard Voltage, Standard Timing, SMP OK
	VSS	VRE/VR Voltage, Standard Timing, SMP OK
	VSU	VRE/VR Voltage, Standard Timing, Uniprocesor only

If you have any other values send them to me, I'll look
them up in the S-Spec book.

> You saw his posting, right?  It gave the version you should
> check out of the CVS tree, as well.  Are you running a SNAP?
> Get the CVS tree version indicated by Steve, instead.
>

> 					Terry Lambert
> 					terry@lambert.org
> ---
> or previous employers.

Accurate Automation, Inc.                   Reliable computers for FreeBSD