Date:      Wed, 22 Jul 1998 11:51:28 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Watson <robert@cyrus.watson.org>
To:        Jim Shankland <jas@flyingfox.com>
Cc:        ahd@kew.com, leec@adam.adonai.net, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: hacked and don't know why

I would guess you were seeing the results of the following:

1. A botched attempt to patch ls to miss modifications to the file system
2. A botched attempt to use an lkm to intercept syscalls to hide changes
   to the file system

The first sounds like a broken rootkit, the second is a more scary (but
not hard to implement) case.  If someone has written a nice lkm-based
rootkit for FreeBSD, then we may be missing a lot of breakins in our
counts of breakins.  I would guess that the large majority of breakins go
undiscovered *anyway*, so this does not bode well.

If you boot off of the rescue disk, or off CD, and do an md5 of ls with a
trusted copy of md5, what do you see?

On Tue, 21 Jul 1998, Jim Shankland wrote:

> "Lee Crites (ASC)" <leec@adam.adonai.net> writes:
>
> > In my case, the bin directories (/bin, /sbin, /usr/bin,
> > /usr/sbin, etc) were still there, just that every program was
> > replaced with the exact same "dummy" program.  All were, as I
> > recall, around 180k (exact same size with cmp showing no
> > differences in any of them.  The funny thing is that ls did what
> > ls was supposed to do, ps did what it was supposed to do, etc,
> > even though they were the same size and cmp'd as identicle.
>
> I *definitely* want to know how to squeeze every executable in
> /bin, /sbin, /usr/bin, and /usr/sbin into one 180KB file.  I'll
> bet Jordan would, too, if he hadn't foresworn working on sysinstall :-).
>
> The symptoms you describe (not counting the blow to the head), as
> well as Drew's, make me think "filesystem damage due to failing/flakey
> hardware" before "security compromise."  Can't say for sure,
> of course; and in both cases, the evidence is gone.  But I think
> you may be jumping to conclusions a bit to assert, "We were hacked
> like this two weeks ago."
>
> Jim Shankland
> Flying Fox Computer Systems, Inc.

> with "unsubscribe security" in the body of the message

  Robert N Watson

Carnegie Mellon University            http://www.cmu.edu/
TIS Labs at Network Associates, Inc.  http://www.tis.com/
SafePort Network Services             http://www.safeport.com/