Date:      Thu, 12 Aug 1999 22:53:10 +0200
From:      Gerald Heinig <gh046171@post.rwth-aachen.de>
To:        silent_world@hotmail.com
Cc:        freebsd-sparc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Where can I get a Sparc machine

Brian Wilson wrote:

> I'm interested in trying to help some with the port (and learning how to do
> things in the process), but I would need to pick up an inexpensive Sparc
> based computer.  I'm looking at buying or finding a sun4m machine, like a
> sparcstation 5, but i have no idea where to find one.  I've looked on eBay,
> and that is not exactly the best place to buy something (l00k, great deal
> $500 for Sparc5, then they're just selling the case and a keyboard).  So
> does anyone know where I can acquire one?

Well, I'd have to disagree somewhat with you on Ebay: I got my Sparc 10
through Ebay plus 2 155 Mbit ATM cards and what deals they were!! US$ 710 for
128 Mb, 2x40 MHz SuperSparc with 1 Gb HD, 20" monitor, cdrom and Solaris 2.6
installed.... 150 US$ for a Fore SBA200E 155MBit ATM NIC and the same one for
PCI at 120 US$ or so? Takes some beating....
Anyway, enough hot air :-)   You can try
http://www.sunhelp.org
which has a number of pointers to shops selling Suns and Sun equipment.
Another good one is the comp.sys.sun.hardware newsgroup which, in addition to
providing really good hardware problem solving, often has rather interesting
deals on all sorts of hardware. For example, I recently saw someone selling
SM71 75 MHz MBus CPU modules (the kind that go in SS10s and 20s, approx. equal
to Pentium 200) for 240 US$. Considering they're going for at least 100 US$
more at http://www.memoryx.com that's not bad at all. About 6 months ago
memoryx wanted almost 500 $ for them.

I'm a bit surprised at your quote of 500$ for just a case and keyboard. Maybe
it's just the silly season... :-)

Gerald