Date:      Fri, 17 Feb 2012 16:35:24 +0100
From:      Ivan Voras <ivoras@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: freebsd-swap on ssd

--------------enig9E77AA4BA40123E93C37DD88

On 17/02/2012 15:16, Alexander Best wrote:
> hi there,
>=20
> putting a freebsd-ufs partition on an ssd isn't recommended, since the =
ufs
> structure (unlike zfs e.g.) requires certain data to be continuously wr=
itten to
> a fixed location and thus will cause the ssd to quickly run out of writ=
e-cycles
> and die.

This is outdated information as all current SSD drives will perform
internal write-leveling (data relocation) in attempt to get around this.
UFS also has one other benefit: it currently supports the "TRIM"
operation (via BIO_DELETE) while ZFS doesn't.

> but how about using a small ssd (approx. 10GB) as one entire freebsd-sw=
ap
> partition? will this make more sense, or are there certain structures w=
ithin
> the freebsd-swap partition type, which also need to be continuously wri=
tten to
> a fixed location?

This all depends on how much swap and how often do you use it. I'd say
it's a great idea if you run into out-of-memory situations rarely and
then if you do run into it, you want the least performance degradation.

In *all other cases* you will probably fry the SSD quickly.

> another question i'd like to ask: are there also issues with read-cycle=
s on
> ssds?

Not that I've heard of.

> because i was thinking about putting a freebsd-boot partition on an ssd=

> drive and only mounting it ro. this should solve the write-cycle issue =
in
> theory. however i'm not sure, if stuff like the dirty bit or the ufs la=
bel will
> also remain untouched. so even though the partition will only be mounte=
d ro,
> freebsd might still frequently write certain data to a fixed location o=
n the
> ssd drive which hosts the freebsd-boot partition.=20

It shouldn't - if the file system is mounted read-only then the
underlying device will not be updated.