Date:      Sat, 29 May 1999 09:24:26 +0200
From:      Arne Henrik Juul <arnej@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        taavi@uninet.ee
Cc:        freebsd-hubs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Best way to mirror FreeBSD ftp archive?

From: Taavi Talvik <taavi@uninet.ee>
> Hello !
>
> I am running FreeBSD ftp mirror for Estonia. However I have
> trouble trying to stay up to date.
>
> US site is quite far (in network terms) from us. Having to
> refetch identical files just makes impossible for me stay
> up to date.

I have the same problems, and I've found that it's hopeless to
get everything directly from the US.  Particularly the packages
tree is bad:  Some of the trees there are updated regularly with
more than a gigabyte result.  Since you are in Estonia, you should
have a pretty good link to Sweden, so I'll recommend fetching at
least the big parts of the tree from there (ftp.sunet.se), they
are very good at keeping up-to-date.

> It's quite grazy to see gigabytes of files removed and aftewards
> refetched..

Exactly :-)
Currently I have an 8-gig disk for /pub/FreeBSD/ports, which means
I have to include only 3 versions of the packages:

1019M   /pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-2.2.8
1.2G    /pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-3.2-release
1.1G    /pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-4-current

I probably should have at least one more, but I need to get more disk first.

> Are there tools similiar to CVSup for mirroring ftp.freebsd.org
> and allowing to specify parts of directory tree to include/exclude?

There are various general FTP-mirroring tools, but they all are
limited by the FTP protocol.  I'm using "fmirror" which I find to
be very effective and precise.  ftp://ftp.guardian.no/pub/free/ftp/fmirror/

This is my configuration file for the 'ports' part of the tree:

timefuzz:       200000
keep_newer:     1

username:       anonymous
password:       arnej@math.ntnu.no
host:           ftp0.sunet.se
remotedir:      /pub/FreeBSD/ports
localdir:       /pub/FreeBSD/ports

exclude:        p       /packages-2.2.7/
exclude:        p       /packages-2.2-stable/
exclude:        p       /packages-3-stable/
exclude:        p       /packages-3.1-release/
exclude:        p       /packages-3.0-aout/
exclude:        p       /packages-3.0/
exclude:        f       ^\.mutex_build$
exclude:        f       ^\.notar$
exclude:        f       ^\.nocompress$
exclude:        f       ^\.in\.
exclude:        f       packages-3.0-stable
exclude:        f       packages-3.1-stable
exclude:        f       packages-3.2-stable
exclude:        f       packages-stable
exclude:        f       packages
<<<<

fmirror can also do things like get an ls-lR.gz file that was
generated on the server, unzip and parse it and use it for deciding
what to get.  This speeds up things a lot.  (I mirror everything
that's not in "ports/" directly from ftp.freebsd.org with one single
configuration file, which normally uses a couple of hours to run.)

> Are there any documents describing which part of archive is
> "stable", which parts is changing say "weekly" or changing "daily".

I don't think this is documented, but some things that I have
observed: development/FreeBSD-CVS is updated with cvsup (daily?), so
you could do the same instead of FTP-mirroring it, or just skip it
(since people will mostly use cvsup anyway.)  The branches/* trees are
mostly (?) just checked out from that CVS repository, and they are
hard to FTP-mirror because it's lots and lots of small files.
(There's a branches/-current/ports.tar.gz that you can get instead of
trying to get all the small files, that helps a lot.)

"releases" is a stable directory and "snapshots" is updated pretty
often, just as one would guess.  Skip snapshots or get them from
ftp.sunet.se, is my recommendation.

Another large directory is "development/3.1-express" (900M) and that
one has also been completely updated at least once recently, so you
may want to skip this one as well.

  -  Arne H. J. (maintainer of ftp.pvv.ntnu.no:/pub/FreeBSD/)