Date:      Fri, 29 Dec 1995 12:42:49 -0800 (PST)
From:      kline@tera.com (Gary Kline)
To:        davidg@Root.COM
Cc:        dyson@freefall.freebsd.org, craigs@venus.os.com, msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, deasey@netpath.net, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mailto:questions@FreeBSD.org

According to David Greenman:

>    I'd like to second this notion. The -questions mailing list has become very
> hostile recently to new users, and this is exactly what *should not* happen.
> The -questions mailing list was designed and created specifically for new
> users who have "new user" questions. If you are on this list and have a low
> threshold for these types of questions, please do all of us (and most
> importantly our new users) a favor and either unsubscribe or answer the
> questions politely and with high "new user" tolerance. We have many other
> mailing lists which are not new-user oriented (such as -hackers, -current,
> -bugs, etc) where your energy can be much better spent.
>
> -DG
>
> David Greenman
> Core Team/Principal Architect, The FreeBSD Project

	Well said.

	void * soapbox()
	{
	   ``Old-timers'' should have patience, certainly, and so
	   should all the newcomers to this list; to the Project
	   as a whole.  If someone answers my questions brusquely
	   I consider the source rather than explode.   I've
	   been into uNix going on 20 years--in fact at Berkeley
	   where this began.  But I've been away in System5-land
	   for so long that the BSD model is a whole new ballgame.
	   It's quite a (re-)learning curve.

	   The whole movement is valid: *BSD, Linux, GNU, the Andrew
	   Project, Project Gutenberg, and vastly more.  If the
	   whole globe got along as well as most of the net does,
	   most problems would disappear.  Maybe after a few hundred
	   more millennia of evolution... .

	   Meanwhile, people, remember the hallmarks of cooperation:
	   patience, tolerance, kindness.

	}

	gary kline