Date:      Fri, 11 Feb 2005 23:02:03 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Ivan Voras <ivoras@fer.hr>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How many developers?

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005, Ivan Voras wrote:

> For statistical purposes, where can I get information such as the number
> of developers (with commit bit?) active on the FreeBSD project?

You might also find this interesting:

  http://people.FreeBSD.org/~peter/commits.html

Assuming that commits were the only activity of interest, this might allow
you define a threshold for "active" for various bits of the tree.  The
usual caveats apply: some committs commit a lot infrequently, other
developers aren't committers and submit patches, etc.  However, it's
probably a useful starting point.  I guess you would probably want to
combine the results of all of these to get more reasonable total figures.
I assume Peter generates them using a cron script of some sort based on
the commit logs in CVSROOT-src/commitlogs, so you might look there for the
mouth of the horse, so to speak.  They're a little hard to parse because
the commit message format has changed over time.

I run occasional statistics on commit rate, etc, on parts of the tree, and
you can find a couple of bits of output from that here:

  http://www.watson.org/~robert/freebsd/20050211-commits-sys.eps
  http://www.watson.org/~robert/freebsd/20050211-committers-sys.eps

You'll notice that there's a gradual increase in developers over time, and
that there are quite noticeable dips in commit rates (and slight dips in
the number of committers) around releases, which happen pretty often so
it's fairly jaggy.  You'll notice that the jags cascade down branches due
to the MFC process -- when we freeze for a release in a higher branch, the
lower branches slow down, for example.

This is limited to the src/sys subtree, so excludes all of user space,
docs, ports, etc.  The sampling interval is the first through last days of
each month, and the "committer count" is the number of unique committers
that month.  Since some committers commit on cycles that aren't monthly,
it isn't perfect, but it's interesting to look at anyway. :-)

Robert N M Watson