Date:      Wed, 27 Aug 1997 18:34:04 -0400
From:      Lee Cremeans <lee@wakky.dyn.ml.org>
To:        Tom Samplonius <tom@sdf.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Cable Modem Connection

On Wed, Aug 27, 1997 at 02:26:57PM -0700, Tom Samplonius wrote:

>   Who needs a service agreement?  Most cablecos just filter out inbound
> tcp establish (syn) packets.  This also breaks ftp, but nearly every ftp
> client can do passive ftp anyhow, and cablecos probably prefer you use
> their proxy cache anyhow.

I wouldn't think many cable companies do that; I know of at least one server
that's on a cable modem on DALnet, and it works fine in both directions.
It would be just too rude IMO to do SYN filtering; it would also break
things like DCC in IRC, since it uses FTP-style port negotiation

[feel free to move this to chat :)]

--
Lee C. -- Manassas, VA, USA  (WakkyMouse on DALnet #watertower)
A! JW223 YWD++^i WK+++r P&B++ SL++^i GDF B&M KK--i MD+++i P++ I++++ Did