Date:      Thu, 19 Nov 1998 14:54:11 +0000
From:      Tony Finch <dot@dotat.at>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: /etc/rc.d, and changes to /etc/rc?

Nik Clayton <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>basename=`basename $0`
>
># Allow ourself to be overridden by local changes
>if [ -x /usr/local/etc/rc.d/${basename} ]; then
>	exec /usr/local/etc/rc.d/${basename}
>fi
>
># If there is a global configuration file, suck it in
>if [ -r /etc/rc.conf ]; then
>	. /etc/rc.conf
>fi
>
># Check for first parameter
>if [ $1x = x ]; then
>	echo ${basename}: No argument provided
>	exit 1
>fi

I like your idea because I find sysV's /etc/init.d convenient. One
suggestion: could you put the above boilerplate into a file that gets
sourced by all the /etc/rc.d scripts (in case you want to make a
global change to it)? And I dislike calling the scripts
/etc/rc.d/foo.sh because (IMO) the .sh is redundant and potentially
misleading if (e.g.) the sysadmin decides to rewrite them in Perl.

Tony.
--
   7yuc zhd2**f.a.n.finch
                             dot@dotat.at