Date:      21 Jan 2002 11:43:23 -0800
From:      swear@blarg.net (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        "Franzen, Jon" <JFranzen@GREENLEE.Textron.com>
Cc:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Printer problem - Canon BJC-1000  - FreeBSD 4.4

"Franzen, Jon" <JFranzen@GREENLEE.Textron.com> writes:

> I'm a new user, I can't get "lptest > /dev/lpt0" or any of the other
> functionality to work with my BJC-1000 printer.  Absolutely nothing happens.
> I think I've followed all the instructions found in many sources.
>
> Is any one else having this problem.

I'd generally suggest installing a port of apsfilter or pdq or cups
(which should require ghostscript, etc.), but you're problem seems
deeper.  I don't know BJC-1000, but my BJC-4300 and probably every
other printer should respond with at least one line of text given the
above command.  Have you deleted too much from your kernel config
file before rebuilding it?  Does something in /boot/kernel.conf
disable the driver?  Do your bootup messages show anything like this?

 ppc0: <Parallel port> at port 0x378-0x37f on isa0
 ppc0: SMC-like chipset (ECP/EPP/PS2/NIBBLE) in COMPATIBLE mode
 ppc0: FIFO with 16/16/15 bytes threshold
 lpt0: <Printer> on ppbus0
 lpt0: Polled port
 ppi0: <Parallel I/O> on ppbus0
 ppc1: <Parallel port> at port 0x278-0x27f on isa0
 ppc1: Generic chipset (NIBBLE-only) in COMPATIBLE mode
 ppbus1: IEEE1284 device found /PS2/ECP/EPP
 Probing for PnP devices on ppbus1:
 ppbus1: <unknown unknown>
 lpt1: <Printer> on ppbus1
 lpt1: Polled port
 ppi1: <Parallel I/O> on ppbus1

My kernel config has (there are other schemes, I think):

device          ppc0 at isa? port IO_LPT1
device          ppc1 at isa? port IO_LPT2
device          ppbus           # Parallel port bus (required)
device          ppi             # Parallel port interface device
device          lpt             # Printers (I have two, lpt0 & lpt1)
                                # [probably should wire down]

And finally, check the cables and power. :-)