Date:      Mon, 20 Sep 1999 11:58:17 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        Jamie Norwood <mistwolf@mushhaven.net>
Cc:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Out of mbuf clusters

On Mon, 20 Sep 1999, Jamie Norwood wrote:

> <List snipped to just BSD-questions>
>
> Actually, I have to agree with Joao here. Advice is good, but when it
> takes on such a condescending tone that borders on insulting the asker
> for their presumption to run an IRC server, it isn't very useful.

Dag-Erling offered very helpful advice, he's right on every point.

Considering he's the only one who stepped up to offer such advice,
I would have considered it better form to thank him and research
the topics he mentioned.  Had he simply not answered, Joao Carlos
would have gotten no advice.

MBUF related problems have been discussed on this lists over and
over and over and ... well you get the idea.  And if you can't be
bothered to search the lists or find a mentor to figure this stuff
out you shouldn't be running an IRC server or any server, period.

"Joao Carlos" <jcarlos@bahianet.com.br> writes:
> I'm running FreeBSD 3.3-STABLE, and compiled a kernel with 64 maxusers. It
> gives me somethink like 1048 processes. I don't know if it's a bug, or
> whatever, but i got crazy when i tested a program called CLONE on a IRC
> Server running i this machine.

It's not a bug!  I find myself extremely sick of individuals who
haven't a clue about FreeBSD and do not bother to research any
issues that come up before blaming FreeBSD for their problems.

These people then seem to have a knack for taking well presented
advice and complaining that it isn't sugar coated into a form that
they like.

It's insulting and rude to blame the system for operator error,
a lot of people have put considerable time and effort into putting
it together.  (DES being one of these contributors)

Furthermore, commentary on people's attitude should be kept to
private mail, if you hadn't noticed, this is not a group therapy
session, it's a mailing list setup to provide support.

-Alfred Perlstein - [bright@rush.net|alfred@freebsd.org]
Wintelcom systems administrator and programmer
   - http://www.wintelcom.net/ [bright@wintelcom.net]