Date:      Mon, 25 Sep 2000 17:45:37 -0300
From:      Gustavo Pamplona <pamplona@uai.com.br>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Something like booting from disk images.

Hi.

What I want is a program that get a disk image already written in disk, (I
dont'know) write it to a ram disk and boot from the ramdisk.

For example:

I get the boot.flp from freebsd floppy disk image, or a DOS boot disk
already written, for example, "dosboot.img".

The dosboot.img have a total file size of 1474560 bytes, in other words a
reliable disk image of the first MS-DOS disk. (Of a three setup disks,
MS-DOS 6.22)

Again, something like it.

# dd if=/dev/fd0c of=/dosboot.img bs=512 count=2880

And, I don't know, the program get the file dosboot.img, write to the RAM,
and again, I don't know, handle the INT 19 (DOS based interruption), clean
all the MS-DOS registers, and proceed to load the disk as it have been
inserted in the floppy drive. in other words, the normal way of booting a
MS-DOS Setup Disk.

As I said in my previous e-mail, I don't have no floppy drives, cause I
have a Colorado Jumbo 250 MB Floppy Tape Drive and I usually use CD-ROM to
boot my system.

[]'s and Thanx.