Date:      Sun, 22 Jul 2001 11:07:55 -0700
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cristjc@earthlink.net>
To:        serkoon <serkoon@thedarkside.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: rpc.statd attacks

On Sun, Jul 22, 2001 at 12:52:08PM +0200, serkoon wrote:
> > However, since I have port 111 blocked in the firewall,
> > how in the world is even an error message being generated?
> > I have even portscanned and 111 is not open to the outside.
>
> Firewall UDP:111 or kill portmapd (if you don't need it).

1) You do not allow traffic to 111/tcp OR 111/udp, do you?

2) Just because you block port 111 doesn't mean people cannot attack
   rpc.statd. Blocking 111 just makes finding the ports that rpc.statd
   is listening on a little harder, but not difficult.

Don't "block" port 111. Pass only traffic you want and expect, block
everything else by default.