Date:      15 Jun 1996 16:08:41 GMT
From:      peter@spinner.DIALix.COM (Peter Wemm)
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: editors

In article <199606060553.XAA16291@xmission.xmission.com>,
	softweyr@xmission.com (Barnacle Wes) writes:
> jfieber@indiana.edu said:
>> > 2) Should be comprehensive, everything from adding users, setting up the
>> > network (including Web server, NFS, etc), tape backups, printing services,
>>                                                            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>
>> I was just thinking about this.  This is a notable omission from
>> the current install.  If FreeBSD came with a very basic ascii to
>> postscript filter, we could get basic text printing for most
>> peaple with locally attached printers without too much fuss.
>
> It's in there.  It's called apsfilter, and it's in either ports or
> packages.  All you really need to know is what language your printer
> speaks.  (Mine, and Epson Stylus, is ESC/P2, just like it says on the
> printer.)

apsfilter is really cool..  If you have a truely sick mind, you can hook
it up to samba, and dump the gs output over the network to a windoze box..

And, if you really want to get perverse, you can print postscript stuff on
windoze boxes by having the windoze machine print to a remote postscript
"printer" (actually samba feeding into apsfilter), and it then gets shipped
back after being converted to graphics....  The only catch is to find a
good "laser printer" driver that matches ghostscript's input, and you need
to find some quality type-1 fonts..

-Peter (who can't believe he's admitting to this in public.. :-)