Date:      Mon, 17 Dec 2007 21:02:32 -0600
From:      Joshua Isom <jrisom@gmail.com>
To:        Gary Kline <kline@tao.thought.org>
Subject:   Re: No audio whatever....

On Dec 17, 2007, at 7:02 PM, Gary Kline wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 18, 2007 at 12:41:34AM +0100, Roland Smith wrote:
>> On Mon, Dec 17, 2007 at 01:06:10PM -0800, Gary Kline wrote:
>>>
>>> 	I realize this may have no easy answer, but suddenly,
>>> 	after a portupgrade -aP. I have no sound.  catting
>>> 	/deev/snstat does tell me that my sound card is there.
>>> 	my volme  is set to 100%.   Where else shoulf I be
>>> 	looking.
>>
>> See if the sound server is running. KDE uses aRts, gnome uses esd,
>> IIRC.
>

> Yes, the arts daemon is running and the esd isn't.  Logged in as
> Gnomee,, no sound, tho.   Is there something that will tell me
> why pcm0 is giving me these strange "overruns", "interrupts"
> and so forth?
>
> To the entire list: be very careful about upgrading right now.
>
> gary

What about using cdcontrol to play a cd?  If your cd-rom drive's hooked
up to the audio port on your motherboard, it should skip anything in
FreeBSD and go from hardware to speakers.  It might help track down the
problem.

Also, did you upgrade OSS?  OSS uses /usr/src so if you've also done a
csup of /usr/src that doesn't match what's installed it's possible you
got something screwy to happen.

Oh, if you get BEL, you're better off than me for that.  I get all of
my sound to work except for BEL!