Date:      Thu, 17 Aug 1995 19:39:51 +0100
From:      Gary Palmer <gary@palmer.demon.co.uk>
To:        Stephen Tsai <tsai@server.keck.lmu.edu>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: MH 6.8.3 package problem!

In message <199508171133.LAA00442@bsd1.keck.lmu.edu>, Stephen Tsai writes:
>My machine is runing on a network.  The local host does not running the
>sendmail.  The sendmail only running on the server.  I have no problem in
>sending mail form my computer without sendmail.  I am wondering how can I
>make the mh work on my computer.  Please tell me how to properly
>configure them.    Thanks.

You could perhaps recompile MH to use a different address for
delivery, but one large installation (similar to yours by the sounds
of it) handled MH by running minimal sendmail configs on each of the
diskless clients which just punted the mail straight to a server which
handled the onward delivery.

You can do something similar, relatively easily, by running sendmail
with a slight modification to the default sendmail.cf. Look for the
lines:

# "Smart" relay host (may be null)
DS

and change the 2nd line to read something like:

DSyour.local.smart.host

Replacing `your.local.smart.host' with the local server.

The reason only MH does this, is that most other mailers feed the mail
as a pipe into the stdin of /usr/sbin/sendmail. So in effect, even if
you did not run sendmail -bd (to run it as a daemon), you still ran
sendmail to send the mail out. MH just requires that the daemon be
present.

Gary