Date:      Thu, 8 Jul 2010 20:33:03 -0700
From:      David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>
To:        Glen Barber <glen.j.barber@gmail.com>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sshd logging with key-only authentication

--uJNQuIR499bBFtzc

On Thu, Jul 08, 2010 at 07:42:15PM -0400, Glen Barber wrote:
> ...=20
> What caught my interest is if I attempt to log in from a machine where I=
=20
> do not have my key or an incorrect key, I see nothing logged in auth.log=
=20
> about a failed login attempt.  If I attempt with an invalid username, as=
=20
> expected, I see 'Invalid user ${USER} from ${IP}.'
>=20
> I'm more concerned with ssh login failures with valid user names.=20
> Looking at crypto/openssh/auth.c, allowed_user() returns true if the=20
> user is not in DenyUsers or DenyGroups, exists in AllowUsers or=20
> AllowGroups (if it is not empty), and has an executable shell.  I'm no C=
=20
> hacker, but superficially it looks like it can never meet a condition=20
> where the user is valid but the key is invalid to trigger a log entry.
>=20
> Is this a bug in openssh, or have I overlooked something in my=20
> configuration?

What I do is configure IPFW to log all attempted session-initiation packets
on 22/tcp, and correlate /var/log/auth.log & /var/log/security.

It's rather interesting to see how many entries show up in the latter
that have no corresponding entry in the former.

Peace,
david
--=20
Depriving a girl or boy of an opportunity for education is evil.

--uJNQuIR499bBFtzc

--uJNQuIR499bBFtzc--