Date:      Mon, 13 Aug 2012 13:47:01 -0700
From:      Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org>
To:        David Duchscher <daved@tamu.edu>
Cc:        Marius Strobl <marius@freebsd.org>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Disabling ethernet link on an Intel nic?

Hi,

On 11 August 2012 06:35, David Duchscher <daved@tamu.edu> wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I have a need to turn off the link of an ethernet port on a Intel nic.  T=
he issue is not a big deal but one we would like to solve.  we have no way =
of signaling an upstream router that a path is down but via turning off the=
 link of the ethernet port.  This would only be used when something goes wr=
ong. The hope is that we could automate some problems and handle other situ=
ations remotely avoiding having to visit the system in person.

> Any thoughts?  We can modify the system so if it means modifying the driv=
er or some other code, I am willing to try.  Just need a little direction.

Marius talked about doing this. Maybe it's time we added it as a
device option, so people can have the PHY disabled when the NIC is
brought down?

Adrian