Date:      Wed, 08 Jan 1997 17:21:56 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Larry S. Marso" <lsmarso@panix.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   pidentd woes

I can't get pidentd to properly authenticate me.  E.g., using the telnet site
suggested by the program's install to "test" it, I get the following:

<<<
bash# telnet 130.236.254.1 114
Trying 130.236.254.1...
Connected to 130.236.254.1.
Escape character is '^]'.
Welcome to the IDENT server tester, version 1.9

(Linked with libident-0.20)

Connecting to Ident server at 166.84.254.60...
Querying for lport 1040, fport 114....
Reading response data...
Error response is:
   Lport........ 1040
   Fport........ 114
   Error........ NO-USER
Connection closed by foreign host.

I've attempted to follow the configuration instructions to the letter.
Hence, after the telnet test:

bash# ps -aux | grep ident
root       308  1.9  3.5   156  484  ??  Ss   10:07AM    0:00.06 in.identd -w
-t120

in /etc/inetd.conf:

ident   stream  tcp     wait    root    /usr/local/sbin/in.identd
in.identd -w -t120

in /etc/services:

auth            113/tcp    ident tap    #Authentication Service
auth            113/udp    ident tap    #Authentication Service

Perhaps I've made some sort of mistake in the parameters governing my network
setup (I use kernel PPP, athough user PPP yields the same situation).  I
configured my new laptop, which runs FreeBSD 2.1.6, first for an internet
service provider out in California.  I didn't run ident, nevertheless I had
unrestricted access to anonymous ftp on Burka.NetVision.net.il and other
places.  Having reconfigured for panix.com in New York City (where I live), I
can no longer access Burka and I run into other problems with sites that are
attempting to ident authenticate me.

The pident INSTALL also recommends the following to verify that the
    internal kernel-accessing routines in the Ident daemon are working
    correctly.

        netstat -n | grep ESTAB | ./itest

This yields nothing, so I figure it's the kernel accessing routines that are
the problem.

I'd appreciate any guidance toward a solution.

E-Mail: Larry S. Marso <lsmarso@panix.com>
Date: 08-Jan-97
Time: 17:21:56

This message was sent by XFMail