Date:      Fri, 28 Dec 2012 14:02:44 -1000 (TAHT)
From:      Gerald Pfeifer <gerald@pfeifer.com>
To:        David Naylor <naylor.b.david@gmail.com>, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: wine/i386 for FreeBSD/amd64 port (aka wine-fbsd64)

On Sat, 3 Nov 2012, David Naylor wrote:
> # Executive Summary
>
> Over the past years I have been maintaining the wine-fbsd64 port (see
> http://mediafire.com/wine_fbsd64 for more).  The port itself effectively
> does static linking (it bundles all the libraries wine needs) with
> scripts to bootstrap the environment to easily use wine from
> FreeBSD/amd64.  There is also a script to install the i386 nVidia
> graphic drivers so that wine has access to nVidia accelerated graphics
> from FreeBSD/amd64.
>
> I would like to propose this port gets included in the port's collection
> and would like to get feedback, your comments please :-).

I would say, go ahead and send-pr the port (without the nVidia parts
for now).

If nobody else bites within two weeks of you sending it, share the number
with me, and I'll give it a try.  I am sure that, once in, there will be
many aspects we'll get feedback on and further tweaks and improvements,
but it seems this is relatively widely used and useful, so let's make
it port of the ports collection and jointly take it from there.

>  - Can only be compiled in an i386 environment, but the resulting package is
> *intended* for amd64 (although works fine in an i386 environment)
>  - If, somehow, there is a recursive calling of wine programs then
> LD_(32_)LIBRARY_PATH and PATH will continue to grow with every iteration.
>  - The pkgng ports cannot be installed in an i386 environment as they are
> labelled for amd64.

My primary question at this point, and to this group, is how to
actually name such a port?

It probably makes sense to focus on wine-devel, initially, but
given that it's really the 32-bit version that is intended for
the 64-bit OS, how to best reflect that?

wine-devel-fbsd64 as per the current name?  wine-devel-32on64?...??

Gerald