Date:      Mon, 31 May 2021 08:50:20 +0000
From:      "Thomas Mueller" <mueller6722@twc.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Synth status and failure to install some packages

> On Sun, 30 May 2021 at 17:46, Thomas Mueller <mueller6722@twc.com> wrote:

> > What is the current status of ports-mgmt/synth?

> > It seems deprecated by what I see on this emailing list, but I see occasional updates when I update ports tree.

> It's still my favourite ports-builder.. I'll keep using it until it
> stops working.

> Jonathan Chen <jonc@chen.org.nz>

Synth is much faster than portmaster or portupgrade, but one serious downside is failure to install some packages that are built.

I thought I didn't have devel/gperf, then later it occurred to me that synth might have hidden it in the repository without installing it.

Earlier, I thought I didn't have ninja installed but later found it hidden in synth's repository.

Is there any way to make synth install build dependencies?  Gentoo Portage has "--with-bdeps=y".

I don't know how poudriere behaves in this regard.

I believe STefan Esser has a new, revamped portmaster in the works, but have no idea of progress so far.

Tom