Date:      Sat, 14 Oct 2000 14:27:46 -0700
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Jason Cribbins <Jason.Cribbins@qwest.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Promise Ultra100 Drivers

On Wednesday,  4 October 2000 at  9:33:38 -0400, Jason Cribbins wrote:
> Greg Lehey wrote:
>> When replying to this message, please copy the original recipients.
>> If you don't, I may ignore the reply.

Please read this message, at the bottom of every reply I send to
-questions.

>>> Is there any place I can find drivers for a Ultra 100 IDE PCI card from
>>> Promise Technology?
>>
>> Yes.  Check http://www.freebsd.org/releases/4.1.1R/notes.html:
>>
>>  The ata(4) driver now has support for ATA100 controllers.
>
> I am somewhat new to this.  I am running 4.1-Stable.  Can I just download
> some file to add or patch my current system built?

No, that's not the way we do things.  We prefer to keep things stable,
so you need to update your -STABLE source tree.  Of course, if it's
recent (later than 4.1.1-RELEASE), it already has the support.

> I am also told that the Ultra66 driver will work on the Ultra100
> card.  How can I redirect the Ultra66 driver to be associated with
> the Ultra 100 card when detected?

You don't need to do anything.  Start it up and look at the dmesg
output (saved in /var/run/dmesg.boot) to see what the driver found.

Greg
If you don't, I may ignore the reply.