Date:      Tue, 21 Mar 1995 23:59:18 +0000
From:      Amancio Hasty <hasty@star-gate.com>
To:        Bakul Shah <bakul@netcom.com>
Cc:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@Glue.umd.edu>, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Debugging

> > Bakul, what I think I learned from trying ups on my machine is that ups
> > takes the gdb code, uses perl to massage itself into the insides of it,
> > and spits it back out.
>
> The one that mucks with gdb, perl etc. is ups-3.6 or 3.7;
> the one I have running on the Sun is ups-2.45.2 -- it does
> not use gdb.  I will try make it run on *BSD so that y'all
> can see what it's like.

Look there is a great merit to tgdb in the form that the GUI can be
easily modified to suit our needs and of course you are welcome to modify
the look and feel of ups.

As for the laundry list to build tgdb is not that long for the tcl/tk
people because most of them will have all the extensions except for
TkSteal and is no big deal to build TkSteal.

I was one of the first to port ups to 386bsd and I rarely use it.
Don't get me wrong, I like ups and for that matter tgdb needs work. I just
think that is less of a hazzle to have tgdb than ups with gdb included.

	Regards,
	Amancio