Date:      Wed, 6 Aug 1997 10:09:11 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Ulf Zimmermann <ulf@Alameda.net>
To:        ballanty@sfu.ca (Rob Ballantyne)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: two questions (ISA speed & raid like support)

>   Hello,
>
>   I have two rather orthogonal questions about FreeBSD that I hope this
> is the proper forum for.
>
>   2.  A friend of mine an myself are thinking about setting up a
>       8000 user production system (we expect only a small proportion to
>       use the system at once, but must maintain accounts for them all).
>       To increase reliablity of this production level server we would
>       like to use disk mirroring or perhaps RAID with some parity scheme.
>       I don't recall anything like this being mentioned on the Web Site
>       so I'm wondering if anyone is working on it or has worked on it?

You can use the existing ccd to mirror the drives. I am preparing myself
right now to write an extension for ccd to support RAID3 or RAID5 with
parity, but this will still take some time and will also only be software. I
have no idea yet how slow this will be.

Depending on the money I would look at SCSI-2-SCSI raid controller, like from
Adaptec, CMD, Mylex and others.

>   Many Thanks,
>
> Rob

> | Rob Ballantyne                         |                               |
> | email: ballanty@sfu.ca                 |             _____             |
> | System Consultant                      |               |               |
> | Operations and Technical Support       |    -----------O-----------    |
> | Simon Fraser University                |                               |
> | Burnaby, BC, CANADA    V5A 1S6         |                               |

Ulf.

Ulf Zimmermann, 1525 Pacific Ave., Alameda, CA-94501, #: 510-769-2936
Alameda Networks, Inc. | http://www.Alameda.net  | Fax#: 510-521-5073