Date:      Mon, 10 Mar 1997 11:42:52 -0700
From:      Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BT848: Revenge of the smurfs

Hi,

> SO, I have the
>ioctl_meteor patches in there with the new package.

you can safely remove all "#if defined( TUNER ) ... #endif" lines
from ioctl_meteor.  be sure to "#include <machine/ioctl_bt848.h>"
in any apps that now #include ioctl_meteor.h.  Note that this means
you need to manually place ioctl_bt848.h in you /usr/include/machine
directory as well as src/sys/i386/include.  You still need ioctl_meteor.h,
ioctl_bt848.h is an extension to it, NOT a replacement.

---
>Unfortunately:
>	a.  Changing channels and/or the input source will sometimes lock
>up the driver, requiring me to quit out tv and the remote, then restart
>them to recover.  tv (Randal Hopper's version) will report
>"ioctl(CAP_CONTINUOUS) failed".   I assume this is an extension of the
>bktr_close() discussion occuring earlier.  A big RESET button would be
>really great for this sort of thing.

the lockup is a known bug.  I assumme that there is something about
tickling the bt848 chip while its risc engine is running that is doing
it.  I have been trying to get a databook out of brooktree for 2 weeks
now without success...  I have found that just grabbing the window and
dropping it again several times will get it unlocked without quitting
it.

  The "ioctl(CAP_CONTINUOUS) failed" is indeed
related to the close problem.  The latest tarball of driver code
I put up last nite (and what Mark checked in) fixes this for me,
as long as you start dtv 1st, and stop it last.  If you stop dtv
1st, it should be sufficient to stop xtvremote (and all other clients
with an open bt handle), then restart dtv.

---
>	b.  No audio.  I think this is a known bug.

yes, again its something that has to be "researched" b4 the code can be
written.
the big problem is that according to the data sheet for the audio part
it assummes that alignment info for it was placed into an onboard EEPROM.
I have identified such a part on the board, but have NO idea of the format
of its contents.

---
>	d.  Odd bit:  sometimes exiting dtv-rhh will leave the tv
>capturing away even though the windowframe is gone.

I think this is my fault, again the way I WASN'T really closing the device.
should be fixed now.

---
>6. What's the magic incantation to take a snapshot in tv?  JPEG support is
>in there, I assume I can take pictures, or am I misled by the code?

I just used xv to grab the window in my experiments.

---
in all the above comments about things being fixed, I am refering to
the just checked in version.  this is available from the bt848 page in
the link:

Here's the latest driver (as of 970309) with all the tuner extensions.

aka:

http://www.freebsd.org/~fsmp/HomeAuto/files/bt848.tar.gz

be sure to see the README.bt848 files for configuration details.
--
Steve Passe	| powered by
smp@csn.net	|            SMP FreeBSD