Date:      Fri, 6 Dec 1996 18:22:40 +0100 (MET)
From:      Gunther Hipper <gunther@informatik.uni-rostock.de>
To:        smp@csn.net
Cc:        freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Great !

Hi all, hi Steve !

Hope it is not too late for an answer.. okay, I didn't cvsup since
the last mail. Now:

> > This is great news for me - since 19:50 MET the SMP kernel is
> > __UP__ and __RUNNING__ ! No more IDE-problems !
>
> Important: for the record, do you have APIC_IO and IDE working?

Okay, until now APIC_IO is __disabled__ in the config file.
Here is (maybe) s.th. which might be interesting for you...
I boot. Then, I turn SMP on:
root@fcna1> sysctl -a|grep smp                        ; see what's on
kern.smp_active: 0
root@fcna1> sysctl -w kern.smp_active=2               ; turn 2nd CPU on
kern.smp_active: 0 -> 2
fcna1:{root} /usr/src/sys-SMP/i386/conf [113] vi SMP  ; (this is not the interesting thing..)
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
fcna1:{root} /usr/src/sys-SMP/i386/conf [115] sysctl -w kern.smp_active=0    ;
                                                                       ; Never returns..

But if you use another terminal, and set sysctl -w kern.smp_active=1 everything is fine,
the sysctl -w kern.smp_active=0 finishes. vi, reboot remains at segmentation fault, i'll
have to check the source (maybe make world again).
I suppose this is no problem (who's interested in switching back) but maybe you want to know.

Now - I'm changing to APIC_IO __enabled__. As to my knowledge - nothing changed in the
smptests.h (#define TEST_LOPRIO, #define APIC_LAZY are turned on). Kernel boots fine, then:

root@fcna1> sysctl -a|grep smp                        ; see what's on
kern.smp_active: 0
root@fcna1> sysctl -w kern.smp_active=2               ; turn 2nd CPU on
kern.smp_active: 0 -> 2
root@fcna1> vi                                        ; runs fine
root@fcna1> cd /usr/src/sys-SMP/i386/conf
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
root@fcna1> pwd
/bin/pwd: Exec format error. Wrong Architecture.
sysctl -w kern.smp_active=1
root@fcna1> kern.smp_active: 2 -> 1
root@fcna1> pwd
/bin/pwd: Exec format error. Wrong Architecture.
root@fcna1> ls
Bus error (core dumped)
root@fcna1> sysctl -w kern.smp_active=0
kern.smp_active: 1 -> 0
root@fcna1> ls
Bus error (core dumped)
fcna1:{root}  [116] pwd
/bin/pwd: Exec format error. Wrong Architecture.
root@fcna1> reboot                                    ; runs fine

I'll now sup the latest cvs commits and try for the next time (starting to find out why reboot
won't run). Please, ignore this mail if I was too long out of the group.
I just thought you maybe interested in this..

Bye

Gunther

Gunther Hipper                 |
University of Rostock          |
Department of Computer Science | Tel    +49 381 498 3391
Albert-Einstein-Str. 21        | Fax    +49 381 498 3440
18051 Rostock - Germany        | Email  Gunther.Hipper@informatik.uni-rostock.de