Date:      Tue, 28 Jul 1998 03:32:53 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Sascha Schumann <sas@schell.de>
To:        Engelhard <engel@cbn.net.id>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FD > 256

On Tue, 28 Jul 1998, Engelhard wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I want to compile qmail with conf-spawn more than 126 processes.
> How do I re-compile my kernel so it can open File Descriptor
> more than 256 ?
> I have compiled kernel wiht maxusers=64, CHILD_MAX=256,
> OPEN_MAX=256. But qmail still can not compile if I set
> conf-spawn=200, the error is:
>
> ./chkspawn
> Oops. Your system's FD_SET() has a hidden limit of 256 descriptors.
> This means that the qmail daemons could crash if you set the run-time
> concurrency higher than 125. So I'm going to insist that the concurrency
> limit in conf-spawn be at most 125. Right now it's 200.
> *** Error code 1

There are two values worth increasing:

sys/sys/socket.h:

     #define SOMAXCONN 128

sys/sys/types.h and /sys/i386/boot/dosboot/types.h:

     #define FD_SETSIZE 256

You should be able to use

      options "SOMAXCONN=512"

and

      options "FD_SETSIZE=1024"

in your kernel config to make qmail happy (note that SOMAXCONN will be
always defined in socket.h, so you really should edit the file by hand).

Btw, how well will FreeBSD scale on big select()'s?

Bye,
        Sascha

> Stop.
> #
>
> thank you for any help.
> engel.
>
> ps: please cc to me for any answer, thanks.

Sascha Schumann     Administration         EMail: sas@schell.de
Free Internet          Migration         Tel: +49 (0) 2374 750 042
Consulting            Development       Fax: +49 (0) 2374 850 657