Date:      Fri, 16 Feb 2001 12:33:20 +0100
From:      "Mason Harding" <mharding@marketnews.com>
To:        "Mark Hartley" <freebsd@drapple.com>, <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Syslogd stops working

I have this problem as well, but have never looked into it too much.  I have
a FreeBSD 4.2 stable syslog server, logging from about 5 machines.  About
once a week syslogd stops working.  The daemon continues to run, and a
killall -HUP doesn't fix it.  Only when I kill and restart it does it work
again...for another week or two.  I think this is defiantly a security
issue.  If someone can knock out the remote syslog server before they hack a
box and clean out the local logs, then they are home free.

Mason