Date:      Sat, 9 Sep 1995 13:47:24 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@efn.org>
To:        J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: higher density diskettes

On Sat, 9 Sep 1995, J Wunsch wrote:

> As John-Mark Gurney wrote:
> >
> > > I don't know why you need to interleave a 3.5in floppy when formatting
> > > it to 15 sectors/track, simply put less sectors on it and increase the
> > > inter-sector gap (GAP3).
>
> > well... I haven't ever used freebsd's fdformat program... [...]
>
> Ok, but why do you want to interleave a floppy with _less_ sectors per
> track on it?  (I know that you have to interleave it if you put _more_
> sectors on it, ie. you're effectively abusing every other sector as
> GAP3 for the previous one.)

the reason I did is because I have it on by default...  fdformat (for
dos) has a fdformat.cfg file...  and I have it on by default...  also...
I'm not the knowledgable about floppies... I've heard the term GAP3
before... and know what it means but I have no idea what values should be
set...

> Sorry if i've been annoying you with my previous mail, but i'd like to
> prevent people from faithfully believe into these heavily stressed
> formats; i personally consider them dangerous, and i'm not alone here.
> I'd also like to avoid the impression that it were some substantially
> new idea.

no problem... I don't mind... but I must say I have disks with the
stressed formats (1.72meg) on DD disk punched to HD...  and I have heard
the data is suppose to degrade... but I haven't had any troubles... and
some disks are over a year old...  TTYL..

John-Mark

gurney_j@efn.org
Modem/FAX: (503) 683-6954   (FreeBSD Box)

Live in Peace, destroy Micro$oft, support free software, run FreeBSD (unix)