Date:      Mon, 26 Apr 2004 10:35:37 -0700
From:      Joe Rhett <jrhett@isite.net>
To:        Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Items missing from the handbook and/or FAQs.

On Mon, Apr 26, 2004 at 01:04:31PM -0400, Jerry McAllister wrote:
> Frankly, it seems like you are not familiar with a user supported
> project such as FreeBSD.   It is created and supported by volumteers
> in their "spare time" and if you feel too important to make your
> contribution then you, by definition,  exclude yourself from those
> for whom FreeBSD is created and supported.
>
> Don't be leaning on other people if you aren't willing to do your share.

I am EXTREMELY familiar with user supported projects.  I have large amounts
of my code and my documentation in a wide variety of projects, including
the linux kernel, cyrus imapd, ... all sorts of things.

And I have already done my share, having written up clearly written problems
and suggested fixes for an OS that I've spent maybe 5 hours working on.
I've sent a list of this to what was documented as the proper place for
them, and I haven't received a single civil reply.

No, I haven't yet learned how to submit PRs properly.  And frankly, I am
having serious doubts that it would be worthwhile to learn, given the
extremely strong attitude problem people on this list have.  People here
are evidently much happier abusing people that report actual problems that
actually doing any work to fix them.  I've seen this problem in open source
projects many times before, and I have better things to do with my time and
spent hours supporting yet another one of these.

I've already stated my issues with trying to submit PRs blind.  It is
usually a waste of effort until one learns more about the project
controllers.  Given that nobody, flat nobody, on this list can respond with
less than sarcasm, many with insults and attacks on a person about things
that weren't even implied, it pretty much guarantees that submitted PR will
be ignored.
(the guidelines for submitting PRs also state that it should be posted on
the mailing list prior to submitting PRs)

--
Joe Rhett                                                      Chief Geek
JRhett@Isite.Net                                      Isite Services, Inc.