Date:      Mon, 22 Nov 1999 19:43:53 -0600 (CST)
From:      Eduardo Viruena Silva <mrspock@esfm.ipn.mx>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD 3.3,  DISKLESS, kernel format must be AOUT ?

O! wise FreeBSD gurus!
I ask for your advice...

I have a FreeBSD 3.3 system in a Pentium computer and an old 486
computer that I want to make a diskless system.

I found that in directory:  /usr/src/sys/i386/boot/netboot
there is a way of building   "nb3c509.com"   program.
This program is used to emulate the "boot" chip for my 3c509 card.
It seems to work fine.

It can get the "freebsd.xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" file containing the parameters to
download the kernel image.  It works ok and tries to download the
image.  Nevertheless it halts displaying a message saying:

		kernel:  Bad executable format!

(or something like that).

FreeBSD 3.3 uses ELF format and previous versions (2.x.y) use AOUT format.

According to my believes, it seems that there is a function (or macro)
called "N_BADMAG" that tests the kernel file type, but I could not find it
in the source files. Trying to overcome this problem, I forced the test,
but "elf" image did not work.

Is there a way of building "nb3c509.com" accepting ELF format ?
== ===== = === == ======== ============= ========= === ====== =

Do I have to create an AOUT kernel image?

will it work?
it seems to works...

Now, can you tell me which "/etc/rc.*" configuration scripts are executed
in the booting process?   what file systems do they try to mount?
what is a "mfs" ?   (memory file system?  a virtual disk?)

My computer gets frozen because of some kind of problem while booting.
it seems to be mounting several file systems in a "mfs"  while it
starts.

Documentation about diskless installation is *very* old.

Can you HEEEELLLLPPPP me?

Thank you in advance.

  | |