Date:      Wed, 22 Nov 1995 13:17:44 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au (Michael Smith)
Cc:        hasty@rah.star-gate.com, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Help! I got a bad block....

> > My system disk is dying and I need to remove an inode -- all I got is
> > the disk block number which fsck reports .
> >
> > BTW: Why can't fsck remove or mark bad scsi blocks?
>
> Because nobody's added that 8).  You should be able to turn on bad sector
> forwarding in the drive and have it do the work itself.  Have a look
> at scsi(8) :
>
> scsi -f /dev/rsd0 -m1 -e -P 3
>
> and set AWRE and ARRE to enable reallocation on both read and write.
> Many drives ship with this off.

I've always wondered about this.

If the area is reserved anyway, then why ever ship with it off?

If the area isn't reserved, then exactly what lossage should I expect
to see when enabling it?

If the replacement sectors are otherwise exposed as usable data sectors,
turning it on would be Bad(tm) if you have already stored data on the
drive.

If the replacement sectors are not otherwise exposed as usable data
sectors, having it off at all is silly.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---