Date:      Thu, 11 Dec 1997 19:15:05 -0800 (PST)
From:      Charlie Roots <osiris2002@yahoo.com>
To:        dg@root.com
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Security

Thanks for reply,
I understand the significance of CERT and also I highly appreciate the
FreeBSD team and their efforts, but two things to notice here:

1. They did not tell us what that hacker did to BREAK that Very Secure
system, and is that hole unfixed, as current, and that's why everybody
is keeping it undercover ?

2.Is there a Hacker-Simulator team working day or night to try break
the system security as the normal hacker would ?????

because if there is no such group, its high time the FreeBSD gather
such a group, which should  be formed with ONE REASON IN MIND, BREAK
FREEBSD SECURITY.

Especially many, current, and future ISPs are planning the Shift to
FreeBSD, since it now supports SMP Monsters.

Please Comment .

---David Greenman <dg@root.com> wrote:

> >I was wondering HOW secure is FreeBSD in comparison to
> >other unix flavours, especiallt I have been reading the
> >CERT recommendations, and I heard the announcement at
> >the time FreeBSD Master Sites were penetrated DEEPLY.
> >
> >How far is the prolem really dangerous.
>
>    FreeBSD is very secure. We have spent a great amount of effort
towards
> making it even more secure over the past 6 months. The reason that
you see
> the CERT announcements is because we are so serious about security and
> want to make the problems and fixes known as quickly as possible.
>
> -DG
>
> David Greenman
> Core-team/Principal Architect, The FreeBSD Project

==
MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU.