Date:      Mon, 24 Sep 2001 04:36:00 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      aleph0@euroseek.com
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org

I'm not sure if I should write seperate messages for
this or just put it all in one and let the person
answering the question sort through it, so to save
time I'll put it all in one.

First, I've been having problems with X since I
installed.  It's nothing major, just an annoyance.
When I try to quit my window manager (or other
controlling program) if an xterm is left, X doesn't
exit.  So I kill the xterm with a handy EOF.  Every
time I've done this, without fail, a "blank"--i.e.,
no config files read no programs started--instance
of X pops up.  This must then be killed with Ctrl-
Meta-Backspace.  This also happens when I kill the
original instance of X with C-M-B.  I'm using
Xwrapper to start because of the security concern of
having X running suid root (which I don't totally
understand).  Of course, this doesn't happen if I
run X as root, because I'm root and I don't have to
use Xwrapper, which thus far I have assumed is
causing the problem.

Next, I'm having a bit of trouble with the ps
command.  Namely, when I try to run it, I get the
error:
/dev/ttyp00/ps: permission denied
I've even tried giving myself ownership of the file
and directory and still get the same error.
(Just to see what happens, I just tried top and it
works.  I guess it doesn't get its info from ps.)

Well, I have more problems, but I can't think of
them right now.  When I do, I'll search through the
archives for a solution, try to solve it myself
(with no programming, not that I'm afraid of
modifying code), then, if those fail, post my
problem here.  Of course, I have to remember them
first.

--
Charles Moss