Date:      Wed, 17 Jan 2001 15:24:45 -0500 (EST)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        mouss <usebsd@free.fr>
Cc:        Archie Cobbs <archie@dellroad.org>, Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Setting default hostname to localhost

On Wed, 17 Jan 2001, mouss wrote:

> At 21:16 16/01/01 -0500, Robert Watson wrote:
> >The nice thing about "localhost" is that it already appears in
> >/etc/hosts, and is a relatively reserved name, so unlikely to conflict too
> >much based on resolution order.  I.e., amnesiac.res.cmu.edu is not an
> >unlikely name.
>
> sure, but I consider that the "hostname" variable has nothing to do with
> resolution.
> you can call your host amnesiac and still "ping localhost" thanks to
> /etc/localhost.
>
> in other words, callin it "amnesiac" has nothing to do with "amnesiac.foo.bar".

On the contrary, there are many applications that expect the results of a
gethostname() to resolve, and point to the local machine.  It's arguable
that these applications are broken, but there are enough of them to raise
consideration.  They include lpd, sdr, and cvsup.  Consider that currently
you can't run the printer spooler if you don't have a hostname that
resolves to an IP; you can't use sdr without a resolvable hostname, and
you can't use the cvsup graphical interface without a resolvable hostname.
I'd like to see these fixed of course--DHCP doesn't always provide a
hostname, but it's a continuing problem.