Date:      Fri, 4 Feb 2000 10:44:52 -0600
From:      Ade Lovett <ade@lovett.com>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Multiple identity ports (was Re: gd requiring X)

On Fri, Feb 04, 2000 at 12:17:21AM -0500, Chuck Robey wrote:
> Ade Lovett wrote:
> >
> > For packages, it should be a (relatively) straightforward hack such
> > that if we're installing "bar-gnome", we should first try to install
> > "foo-gnome" as a dependent, falling back to plain old "foo"
> > (possibly with a warning) if one isn't found.
> >
> > For ports, bar-gnome simply has a dependency on ${PORTSDIR}/xxx/foo-gnome,
> > which sets WITH_GNOME=YES and includes xxx/foo
>
> What about some ports that have multiple, even 4 or five optional
> dependencies.  These *do* exist.  Your naming plan isn't going to cover
> that, and think about just how many packages what you propose *really* is
> going to cause.  It's not just a doubling.

I know.  I think I even said that a few lines down with "fairly major
increase in the number of ports" - I have a penchant for understatement,
I'm a limey, I can't help it :)

It's not an inherently scalable idea for everything, I don't know what
is, especially for those ports that (a) have a large number of optional
dependencies, and (b) worse still, those that do (sometimes very
subtle) different things at ./configure time depending on what you
already have installed.

In the (a) case, we have to make a tradeoff between the number of
different ports/packages and the amount of bloat on the CD, in the
ports tree, etc.  Certainly, for a large "o" (optional dependencies),
the [sum(nCo) n=0..o] is likely to be huge.  Perhaps in this case we
simply build a minimal and maximal case, and tell the end-user that
there are other options at make or pkg_add time.

(b) cases need to be fixed.  The most obvious problems that I've seen
so far (because I happen to be closest to it :) are those ports that
have optional dependencies on GTK/GNOME with a USE_* variable, but
don't do the right thing if GTK/GNOME is installed, and the USE_*
variable is _not_ set.  I don't understand enough about Jeremy's
work yet to know whether this issue can be resolved easily.

-aDe

--
Ade Lovett, Austin, TX.