Date:      Sun, 31 Mar 1996 14:19:15 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Brann <jbrann@panix.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   2.2-SNAP-960323

So,

I had this brain-fart.  I've loaded the new SNAP onto my laptop and was
re-building the kernel with the PCMCIA support, and I removed npx0.

The strange thing was that it built, and loaded.  When I rebooted, things
went OK, until it tried to fsck my disks, at which point the boot process
failed with a sig 8 (Floating point exception - big surprise).  Attempts to
spawn a single-user shell also failed, same reason.

After rebooting with the old kernel, I discovered that /etc/services had been
trashed - which was annoying, but I had a backup.

I know that 'I can't rebuild my kernel and it says something about floating
point' is probably the single-most-asked-about thing on the lists, but
I would have thought that failing to build would be a better result than
allowing a potentially damaging kernel to start...

John
--
Beavis and Butt-Head;  Vladimir and Estragon for the '90s.

finger jbrann@panix.com for pgp public key