Date:      Thu, 30 Oct 1997 12:10:29 +0900
From:      Kazutaka YOKOTA <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>
To:        benedict@echonyc.com
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org, yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp
Subject:   PS/2 mouse (was: Re: svgalib? )

>Sorry, but that is incorrect.  I am not stupid and I read documentation;
>nevertheless, I was unable to get the mouse working as a PS/2 device.
>Yes, I specified PS/2 as the protocol type.
>
>On Thu, 30 Oct 1997, Kazutaka YOKOTA wrote:
>
>> Hmm, it is very easy to set up the PS/2 mouse either for XFree86 or
>> moused, so long as this rule is followed:
>>
>> When you connect the mouse to the PS/2 mouse port, specify "PS/2" as
>> the protocol type REGARDLESS of the model and manufacturer of the
>> mouse.
>>
>> This is clearly stated in the man page of XF86Config(4/5). Various
>> README files also say the user should refer to this man page.  But
>> unfortunately s/he either doesn't read it or doesn't know his/her
>> mouse is of the PS/2 type...

Hmm, you said you have a Logitech MouseMan. Quit a number of MouseMan
are connected to the PS/2 mouse port and used without a problem around
me.

So long as your MouseMan is "Serial-MousePort" type (see label on the
belly of the mouse), it can be attached to the PS/2 port.

# If the label says "Serial", well, it's a serial mouse :-)

Would you attach the mouse at the PS/2 mouse port, boot your system
giving "-v" option at the "Boot:" prompt and check dmesg output?
You should look for "psm0:..." and "kbdio:..." lines.

You can also test your PS/2 mouse by doing the following.

1. If you run moused, kill it for now.
2. Stop X either.
3. As root, run moused in the debug mode.
	moused -d -f -p /dev/psm0 -t ps/2
4. Move mouse. Moused will print X and Y movement counter and button
   status.
5. ^C will stop moused.

If you are not sure if the output is correct, I will analyze it for
you if you send me the output.

There also are following advices:

1. If the PS/2 mouse port is not directly soldered on the motherboard
   and the mouse port (DIN connector) on the case and the motherboard
   is connected via a flat cable, verify it's the write cable and
   correctly oriented. One user bought the cable and motherboard separately
   and later found that they are not compatible. This can happen
   because pin assignment on the motherboard side is not standardized.
   The cable for one motherboard (say, from ASUS) may not be used with
   another (say, from GIGABYTE).

2. XF86Setup isn't good at handling mice. If you are using it to
   configure XF86Config, do not touch your mouse until you have specified
   everything about the mouse. (device: /dev/psm0, protocol: PS/2)
   And do NOT change mouse settings again until you quit XF86Setup.

Kazu