Date:      Thu, 26 Jul 2001 00:37:22 -0400
From:      Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
To:        <mjacob@feral.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: SCSI timeout problems going from May23 to July13 kernel

At 09:22 PM 7/25/2001 -0700, Matthew Jacob wrote:

>Huh. I'm beginning to think that the "test read" that's done at samount time
>is more trouble than it is worth. I do it try and pick up density of inserted
>tape- a lot of drives won't tell you anything interesting until you access the
>tape. But in some cases it sends the drive/tape into the weeds. Grumble.

I was trying to remember if we ever used new DDS3 tapes in this DDS4 drive
prior to this incident.  I am pretty sure they were all used tapes so that
there was already info on them which I guess helped the drive figure out
what it had ?  We only started using the the blank DDS3 tapes recently as
we found an unopened box that had been misplaced.  So its likely we just
never hit this problem before since we got this particular drive 4 months
ago.  I would say a quick note in either mt or sa man pages.  To me,
telling the drive the density where needed on blank tapes is an acceptable
procedure. It only seems to happen when changing densities.

         ---Mike