Date:      Fri, 23 May 1997 20:53:45 -0400
From:      Andrew Herdman <andrew@why.whine.com>
To:        scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Oddness with NCR53C810

I have a machine running Current as of Feb 1/97 with an ASUS P/I-P55T2P4
motherboard with the 2.02 bios.  On this motherboard i have two scsi
controllers, a Buslogics 946C and an NCR53C810.  I want to replace the
Buslogics with another NCR53C810 for consistencies sake.  My problem is.

When i turn on the NCR bios, it always tries to boot of the NCR card (the
OS just happens to be on the Buslogics card).  No problem just put the
other NCR card in.  Good that fixed it.

Here's the problem.  With the NCR bios turned off, the machine boots fine
(off of the buslogics card, without the NCR bios the computer can't find
the disks to boot).  It probs the NCR card and drives fine.  But when I
turn on the NCR bios, with or without the buslogics card it hangs the
machine (hard) as follows:

ncr0 <ncr 53c810a scsi> rev 17 int a irq 12 on pci0:11:0
ncr0 waiting for scsi devices to settle
scbus1 at ncr0 bus 0
^^^^^
  This is it... it stops here.

This is to say the least... annoying.  Anyone have any ideas?

thanks in advance...

  Andrew