Date:      Tue, 3 Oct 2000 10:40:52 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Steve Kargl <sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
To:        Jake Burkholder <jburkhol@home.com>
Cc:        freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: witness code status?

Jake Burkholder wrote:
> > What's the current status of the integration of BSDi's
> > witness code?  If I include "options WITNESS" in my kernel
> > config file, I get an immediate panic at boot.  My sources
> > are from today (01 Oct 00), and the system is currently
> > running a MP kernel (built without the witness code).
>
> This makes no sense to me; I can't figure out why the panic
> is happening at all.  Can you send me your kernel config file?

It's attached.  I've also put some info up on the web at
http://troutmask.apl.washington/edu/~kargl/freebsd/TROUTMASK
http://troutmask.apl.washington/edu/~kargl/freebsd/dmesg-pre.SMPng
http://troutmask.apl.washington/edu/~kargl/freebsd/dmesg-post.SMPng
http://troutmask.apl.washington/edu/~kargl/freebsd/sysctl.data
http://troutmask.apl.washington/edu/~kargl/freebsd/mptable.out

> Also, please make absolutely sure that your sources are up to
> date and build a new world and kernel.

I pull my sources from cvsup7.freebsd.org, and unless something
significant happened after the timestamp on /usr/sup/src-all:

-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  - 4794104 Oct  2 08:56 checkouts.cvs:.

then I should be fairly up to date.

> > PPS: "options USER_LDT" is currently broken for MP kernels.
> >

> Attached is a patch that should fix this.
> Please let me know and I'll commit it.  (Works here.)

I'm building a kernel, now.

--
Steve