Date:      Thu, 02 Nov 2006 20:52:04 -0500
From:      Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        Kevin Oberman <oberman@es.net>
Cc:        gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HAL taking over

--=-7PSiz29O+lhkvohk/IyK

On Thu, 2006-11-02 at 14:39 -0800, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> HAL looks wonderful, but it seems to be trying to take control of my
> system.=20
>=20
> I have my system set up to ignore the lid switch
> (hw.acpi.lid_switch_state: NONE)
>=20
> When I have HALD running, it suspends my system, anyway, and it does not
> resume. It reboots.

You will have to ignore the lid button in HAL.  Basically, create
a /usr/local/share/hal/fdi/preprobe/20thirdparty/10-acpi-lid.fdi file
with the following contents then restart hald:

  <?xml version=3D"1.0" encoding=3D"UTF-8"?>
  <deviceinfo version=3D"0.2">=20
    <device>=20
      <!-- ignore ACPI lid buttons -->
      <match key=3D"button.type" string=3D"lid">
        <merge key=3D"info.ignore" type=3D"bool">true</merge>
      </match>
    </device>
  </deviceinfo>

If that still doesn't work, HAL may need a patch to support ignoring
these kind of events.

>=20
> When I have HALD running, I can no longer unmount disks. I can't do it
> from the command line (volume busy) or from nautilus (Not authorized).

Which disks?  Volumes mounted by HAL can be controlled with the
gnome-mount command provided you have appropriate access (see
http://www.freebsd.org/gnome/docs/faq2.html#q19 ).

>=20
> I suspect HALD can be configured to make all of this work right, but I
> don't know quite where to look. (OK, I have some hints on the unmounting
> issue, but I have not gotten it to work yet.
>=20
> Finally, the disks are no longer labeled in a meaningful fashion. What
> used to be the "D" drive on my system is now showing up as "7.8 GB". Not
> too useful and made a bit worse because I often mount two partitions of
> almost exactly the same size.

You can label volumes using tunefs -L.  After doing this, they should
appear with more meaningful names.

Joe

--=20

--=-7PSiz29O+lhkvohk/IyK