Date:      Thu, 9 Nov 2000 13:42:27 -0800
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        Bjorn Tornqvist <bjorn.tornqvist@west.se>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Modifying msgrcv() and msgsnd()

* Bjorn Tornqvist <bjorn.tornqvist@west.se> [001109 13:38] wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I'm going to add 2 functioncalls to the kernel; msgrcv_t() msgsnd_t()
> ("t"
> as in timeout) where the user will be able to specify a maximum amount
> of
> time they are prepared to wait for a message to be sent or become
> available.
>
> I just wonder if the rest of the freebsd community is interested in
> these
> kinds of additions to the kernel? I'm pretty certain there is alot more
> people out there who'd like this functionality. Should I bother posting
> them to the list?
>
> As a sidenote: The main reason I need this is since I can't use
> longjmp()/setjmp() with alarm() between pthread contexts; with FreeBSD
> 5.0
> this fix probably won't be necessary (but still nice to have though).
>
> And besides, I'd get paid to contribute to the project! =)

Actually, what i'd like to see is kqueue filters able to attach
to sysVipc.  I'm pretty sure something like msgrcv_t()/msgsnd_t()
won't make it into the kernel, however I'd take a personal interest
in having kqueue'able sysV message queues and would be happy to
assist you in getting that into the kernel.

I'm also unsure why you'd want a "timeout", although it'd be less
effecient you could effectively poll by using IPC_NOWAIT and
usleep(3) or nanosleep(2).